Monday, January 20, 2014

Music and Writing --"Woo-Hoo!" Wednesday

Music 
 
 Inspiration


Plot threads

They seem to go hand in hand. For me, at least.
As I was writing Between Octobers (out June 17th) I was semi-obsessed with the self-titled album by a band called The Paper Tongues.
There were several songs on the album that directly inspired plot threads and a few of them that simply embodied my story.
One of them is this song:
Get Higher...
I started this manuscript way back in 2008, and to this day, Get Higher is still one of my all-time favorite songs. The lyrics and melody move me.
All of this got me thinking about the way music inspires and how, as I wrote, a soundtrack sort of developed. And I thought it might be nice to share some of that music with you.
Now, I'm not one of those people that watches much television or listens to the  radio, so some of what follows will be stuff you've never heard of.
But just because the songs aren't by "top 40" artists, does not mean that their music stinks. In fact, most times, the opposite is true. IMO
But I'll let you judge for yourselves.
Enjoy!!

 

More Paper Tongues because I LOVE this guys unusual voice!
Evan-essence (hehe...read the book and you'll get it...
Relient K
In my imagination, this song is on Graces' iPod...
 
 What about you, fellow writers, (Show of hands--who loves to write?? *crickets chirping* Anyone?) what type of music inspires you?

No comments:

Post a Comment